Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Does the education system kill creativity?


Today the assignament is to write our opinion about this idea, and about Mr. Ken Robinson speech "School kills creativity". Ok.. I absolutely agree with him. He says that school kills creativity because the areas that the actual system develops are just the ones that people used to think that were the only ones.


People used to think that maths, languages, sciences were the areas that were gonna save you of being poor or unsuccessful. And if you think it right, it is very stupid to think like that, but the system hasn't changed, I think that schools should guide children to their best qualities, for example the Cats coreographer that Ken Robinson metioned, she was very bad at school but she shined at dancing.


How can we see this idea in our regular lifes? For example... there are lots of careers in lots of institutes and universities. There is a huge art area, and music, and sports, ok, but what is the PSU test about? Maths, languages, history and sciences. Of course this subjects are very usefull but not for every career. For example I study Industrial Design and it needs maths and physics skills, to know about structures and parameters. But there are lots of more skills that you need to have before you start the career, like visual perception, color knowledge, hands skills (to be good at doing things with your own hands), a little about computing, etc. What about that?? What if I had the best score in the country at this test and then when I decide to study something like arts or design I go bad in everything? How could I know that before I paid the whole year?


There should be more options of tests, of subjects, of schools approaches. I used to paint, to draw, to do artistic things in school. But I was very good at other things so that is why I am here, but what if I wasn't?


I think that because of this problems the society doesn't progress like it should. Maybe a mediocre engineer could be a fantastic siger, or maybe a very bad artist could be a great tennist.


This ideas should be more heard in the world, because if they don't get to reality, they get lost in time.


Now that we are just starting our professional lifes, and we have the chance yo make a change. Let's do it, let's make our good ideas part of the real world.

4 comments:

  1. hey! I like what you said about A bad engineer could be a good singer, sometimes I think it too...and yes, that topic creates a lot of questions in our minds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And what if PSU evaluate Music, and dance, and arts?, and what if in our carreer we can choose our own courses?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that you have a really good point, there're a lot of qualities that are not in PSU or education in general that you will need for studing some carrers, so we have no other choice that learn them here:) I think xD

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like you said about not knowing what careers are about, and not knowing if you don't have the skills to cope with them.

    It happened to me, I'm really bad with hand crafts, so first year studying design was like hell to me xD

    nice thoughts.

    ReplyDelete